Originally posted 2/3/15
In honor of Groundhog's Day 2/2/15 my in-home daycare made groundhog hand puppets. It was so much fun and I was impressed that the two year olds were intrigued with the sowing machine.
Here's how I made them.
1. Found an empty wrapping paper roll (the one that wasn't a solid tube) folded it in half and draw a groundhog face on it. Start sowing a single line at the bottom right side up and around the face of the groundhog and back down the other side and left enough room for the child's little hand to fit.
2. I tied the loose ends of the left over thread and cut it about 1/4" from the knot. I then cut about 1/4 to 1/2 inches away from the stitch line all he way around the face.
3. On the back of the puppet I wrote the child's name, date and that it was Groundhog's Day.
4. Gave each of the children a few coloring crayons and let them decorate their groundhog.
5. Put puppet on the child's hand and let them run around and play.
Enjoy, if you have any questions please let me know